I believe that for every challenge accomplished, every endeavor completed, there is another one just sitting in wait. God has given us so much skill and talent that I always feel compelled to do something more, or something in addition to just those things that pay the bills. Some of our most enriching experiences and greatest spiritual lessons have come from doing things outside the norm, and outside of our 9 to 5. Without the stress of our primary work, we can focus more strongly; paying attention while God moves and takes us to meet our full potential in His glory.
I have learned to do that; pay attention that is, and last week was not exception. God presented me with an opportunity to do something that I love to do, work as a tutor while I was actually looking for opportunities for another person.
Now the first thought that I had when I got the job was how tired I was going to be. I love tutoring, but I like staying at home more, especially during the winter. So, at first I pained over the long drive to the college campus as opposed to how easy it would have been to go to the one right where I live. Then I thought about the drive time, the hours that I would have to spend sitting waiting on students and the time that would be taken away from my schedule because I have a million things that I think I need to do.
After about 10 minutes of that, I happily moved back into my default mode; thanking God for the opportunity and anticipating what he would teach me or allow me to learn from others. And therein lies my testimony for this posting. Opportunity.
Oftentimes, we think of work as drudgery. We moan. We groan. We complain. We do everything, but get excited about what God is doing. And don't even mention how we feel about doing anything in addition to our primary work.
A dear friend of mine sent me an email that I thought was wonderful. "Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps. if you are not willing to move your feet." Amen to that.
I chose to MOVE and because of that, he is doing some wonderful things with me, the college students, and even the adults in the lab. They are revealing themselves to me, I am revealing myself to them, and we have uplifting conversations about life and God; we encourage each other and whether you know it or not, encouragement is a valuable commodity.
Most importantly, together we are bridging the divide that often exists between generations. That alone was worth making the trip to the campus.
So, while I could talk about all of the magnificent college students for the rest of the blog, and probably will once I get their permission, the point that I really want to make today is that we should always look forward to what God is going to reveal when he sends us somewhere. Our hearts should always be open to receive his direction and to be obedient to it, by walking through the door that he opens.
Opportunities abound to grow, learn, share, prosper and love, but we have to listen and then move. Most of all we must be OBEDIENT to His voice. Amen.
Scriptures for further study on Obedience:
Deuteronomy 28:1-14
Deuteronomy 30:1-10 Matthew 7:24
Job 36:11
Romans 8:28
No comments:
Post a Comment