Okay, so it's been about a month since I last posted. Well to be fair to me, I am in the midst of TRYING to complete my first book and I've set this year as a deadline. So, right now, blogging is kind of taking second place. This book should have been written years ago by both God's request and my desires, but it has seemed like such an insurmountable task for me; even with the writer living inside of me.
Give me something quick and to the point to write, like a column or a blog, and I can knock that out every time. Ideas for these writing formats seem to come easily and before I know it, they have found themselves as words in a completed written work. But a book is different somehow. The book takes more focus. It feels like a stronger, longer term, more serious commitment.
It's kind of like the difference between getting baptized and receiving Christ as your personal savior, and choosing to live a God-filled and God-led life. One requires that you make Christ Lord of your life, and it is usually worked out in a limited manner; being baptized before witnesses, showing up for church on Sundays, supporting the church financially, following the 10 commandments as best you can, and repenting of your sins. Your actions are focused on "making it to Heaven." This is the "comfortable" journey that unfortunately leaves many headed to the grave having allowed little of their light to shine here on Earth, It's like the talents and the man who simply sat on his, hoarded them even, and produced nothing additionally beyond what was invested in him from the beginning. Somewhat of a waste if you ask me. (Matthew 25:14-30)
The other though, is like a book and demands a much longer term commitment. It requires that we go through the difficult journey of allowing and even inviting God to purge us of all of the "junk" that keeps us from being what he intended us to be. It requires research and study about the character of God, consistent prayer, and even meditation, on a daily basis. At this level, we desire to know the unique gifts and talents that were placed in us from birth, and to use them for the work that God has planned for us to do. Yes, there is more pain than the first, more tears than the first and more work than the first, but it also delivers more joy, stronger faith, more peace and ultimately a stronger and more fruitful relationship with our maker. This path positions us to bless all of the people God had planned for us to bless when He made us; ultimately fulfilling our destiny on Earth.
So, when I think of it like that, I should probably count it joyous that God even chose me to write this book. Also, because I am connected to Him, each time I obediently sit down to write, with prayer before I begin, he gives me the words. Basically, all I must do is be obedient and set aside time to allow Him to use me to produce the book. Doesn't sound like such a big job that way.
And that's also the beauty of a life led by God. All of the tough stuff that we face on a daily basis, is much more tough when we face it alone. But, when we hand it over to God immediately and frequently in prayer, he will guide us and direct us. I'm not suggesting the we sit there and do nothing. God does require us to be active participants. I'm simply saying in all things, consult God and he will light your path.
So, will you write the story that God has placed on your heart and in your soul, fulfilling those things that he as asked of you? Or, will you waste your talents and gifts "pew sitting" and "gazing" and wasting opportunities to be in service for God?
“Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others,
faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.”
faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.”
1 Peter 4:10
Commit your work to the LORD, and then your plans will succeed.
Proverbs 16:3
Proverbs 16:3
2Timothy 1:9
The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.
1 Corinthians 3:8-9
1 Corinthians 3:8-9
The blog is awesome, I like your writing style. It seems as thought you are having a conversation with the reader. I like. I like the thoughts and the analogies made.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Pastor Pamela Dillon
Good morning, Pastor Pam. I noticed that you had shared an encouraging response to my blog posts several years ago, so I wanted to invite you to read some of my most recent posts at Godsmsanyhow on Blogger. Thanks in advance for the encouragement.
Deletehttps://godsmsanyhow.blogspot.com/2020/
Rev. Dr. Nina M. Thompson
Great post...also key that if we sty in Gods presence He will draw closer to us. We must not get side tracked by the garbage in the world or trying to just do things to get into the Heaven. We must submit yes and that requires obedience...after all our lives are not our own. Those who choose to let God continue to stand outside the door(heart) are only hurting themselves. God bless you. I pray that He receives the glory from this and that those who read it are able to reflect then apply.
ReplyDeleteKevin I never saw this reply to my blog post from you. I guess I got busy writing that book, which I did finished. It's called "Church Hurt Ain't No Joke, and I have actually pinned two others since then; Why Yes to God: Essays on God and Life by Young Adults and Where Have All the Young Ones Gone: Connecting and Reconnecting Young Adults to God and the church. They are available if you read that type of stuff, and I would love to have your comments.
DeleteGlad to hear you're working on the book!! Love to read your posts - but I know the book is important! Thank you for the guidance always!
ReplyDelete